Friday, November 25, 2005

Buy nothing Day meanderings

On this Buy Nothing Day. as I stay at home not shopping, I allow myself a utopian reverie, with the thought that religious and other freedoms were once utopian reveries of the past. I went to U of British Columbia for 2 years way back, and have tried since then to get a job there and move back. Latest attempt is 3 visits in past year to a coastal logging town near Vancouver (which is too pricy for me I think right now). Every time I talk to real estate people or locals about it I am impressed at the gulf between them and me about how I feel about the place. My latest plan is to live and be environmentally active there, until I am satisfied I can do no more, then be a good example and move to Israel or Russia and be active there. The good example is: it would be nice if everybody from Europe and Asia who voluntarily (or whose ancestors voluntarily) moved to the Americas would back off, have no or a maximum of 1 children for a few generation and then back off North America by moving back to where we came from, there of course to shrink the population further and help reduce all of our global footprint. Wealth through shrinkage is to live like pirates rattling around in all the space and abandoned houses and possessions of the heirless as the selected cities crumble and are overgrown by the admittedly less diverse forests or grasses than were there 500 to 5000 years ago. Aim to be heirless.The declining Buddenbrooks family, but with pride and optimism while writing and imparting family culture to the shrunken next generation, cherished and well cared for children of the few who have children.

No comments: